Thursday, December 11, 2008

From a different source

A few days ago, my wife and a friend discovered that our friend, LG, had taken his own life. He had been suffering with a serious mental illness for a few years, and had stopped taking his medication. He cut himself off from everyone who was trying to help him and gave up the struggle.
During the wee hours of the morning I woke into a reverie state from the dream state and saw him standing in the bedroom in shimmering light. Calling in my Guides and Power Animals, I asked him to stay over there (away from me!) and promised to deal with him later.

Then when I got up for the day, I took up my shamanic drum and started calling in the spirits. At a certain point, after we had created Sacred Space together, I saw LG again standing there in shimmering light. I asked the angels to open the portal into the World of Light and asked LG to look up into it and see what he could see. He was very happy. He understood that he could now make the transition from this world of suffering into the place of infinite compassion and light.

The feeling of joy was immense: his joy and mine as a participant in this divine mystery.

Later, as I was sitting with a group of people contemplating what had happened, I saw the divine form of Hermes and realized that he had been helping me in the earlier ceremony. I asked if he had anything to tell us about the mystery of life and death. Here is what he said:

It is indeed a great mystery. You can feel the power of that transition when it happens, if you are in the presence of it as it is happening. It is like an ecstasy. It is a coming together of many things. Most of those things are things we do not see or understand before that moment. All the threads that led to the life you live now come together, all the reasons for your birth into this world come together at the end also.

You see that when the body dies, the person does not. So you can prepare yourselves for this passage by practicing, by being aware of the body and how your consciousness can be independent of it, not by ignoring the body or becoming numb to it, but by becoming more conscious of it, so that you can distinguish between the quality of the physical and the qualities of the non-physical. Then you will not be so frightened by this natural event.

You could begin to live your lives less governed by the fear of death.

2 comments:

Joyce said...

Thank you for sharing and for clarifying.

Joyce

Lynn said...

Death is one thing I do not fear, I find that this life holds tremendous fear and stress.